10 Super Foods
Eating well to look, feel, and perform our very best is Important. Although, this isn’t a matter of choking down foods because they’re good for you. It’s about filling your plate with delicious whole foods that will make you feel and perform at your best. Here’s how to graze your way to a supercharged you with 10 Super Foods.
1. SWEET POTATO
This bright orange looking vegetable has a whole range of benefits including being a low GI (glycaemic index) carbohydrate, is packed with fibre and contains over 20 key nutrients. Some other benefits of this vegetable include:
- They are high in vitamin B6, vitamin C and Vitamin D.
- Sweet potatoes contain Iron and support a healthy immune system.
- They are a good source of magnesium, which is the relaxing, anti-stress mineral.
- They are a source of potassium.
- Sweet potatoes help ward off cancer and protect against the effect of aging.
Whilst most fruits contain sugar, this pear shaped fruit is high in healthy fats, which help keep you energised by stabilising your blood sugar levels. This super food is also rich in vital nutrients such as vitamin K, C and E which all play a role in improved health. Some other benefits of avocado include:
- They are loaded with fibre.
- Eating avocado can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- The fat in them can help you absorb nutrients from plant food.
- Avocado is loaded with powerful antioxidants that can protect the eyes.
3. COCONUT OIL
Research has found that coconut oil can drastically help weight loss as it contains medium chained Triglycerides (MCT’s), which has been shown to help boost your metabolism by regulating your thyroid hormone. Coconut oil also is high in lauric acid, which can help your immune system. Coconut oil can also:
- Improve bone health.
- Prevent wrinkles and dry skin.
- Prevents diseases affecting the liver and kidneys.
- Nourishes the hair.
- Treat pancreatitis and Alzheimer’s disease.
Containing B Vitamin Folate, which is needed for the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine and nor-epinephrine, which are all needed for cognitive function of the brain. Other benefits include:
- A natural diuretic.
- A brain booster
- It can also help fight cancer.
5. ACAI BERRIES
They are grown in South America. This ‘super berry’ has been shown to have twice the antioxidant power as blueberries, which will help keep your immune system strong. Other benefits include:
- Improved cellular health.
- Reduced Irritation.
- Improved mental function.
- Better sex
This super food, particularly the yolk, has been shown to be packed with choline, which has been shown to create acetylcholine, which improves your memory capacity. Other facts about eggs include:
- Eggs are high in cholesterol, but they don’t adversely affect body cholesterol.
- Eggs raise HDL (The “Good”) cholesterol.
- Eggs contain Lutein and Zeaxanthin, Antioxidants that have major benefits for eye health.
- Eggs are high in protein, with all the essential amino acids in the right ratios.
- Eggs DO not raise your risk of heart disease and may reduce the risk of stroke.
Packed with eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which is a type of omega 3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and also improve your skin health. More benefits of salmon include:
- Great source of protein, vitamins and minerals.
- Reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Aids in maintaining healthy hair.
- Helps maintain insulin levels in the body.
- Improves memory and efficiency of brain function.
Spinach is almost certainly one of the best vegetables out there as it is packed full of vital micro-nutrients such as vitamin K which is a highly important nutrient for bone health. Popeye was definitely onto something. Other benefits of spinach include:
- Cancer prevention.
- Asthma prevention.
- Bone health.
- Lower blood pressure.
9. PISTACHIO NUTS
This super nut offers a whole host of benefits including a good source of protein and fibre but also a good source of healthy fats too. It also contains selenium, which has been recently shown to improve a person’s insulin sensitivity which helps keep your weight down. Benefits of pistachio nuts also include:
- Increases iron absorption in the body.
- Aid digestion.
- Helps in controlling diabetes.
- Reduces risk of age related muscular disease.
- Helps in elimination of dryness of skin.
10. DARK CHOCOLATE
Contained in dark chocolate are flavonoids and antioxidants, which can help with blood flow, however ensure that you opt for at least 70% cocoa to boost the antioxidant power. This super food has also been shown to increase mood as it can be eaten as a treat. Other benefits of dark chocolate include:
- Dark chocolate is a powerful antioxidant.
- It may improve blood flow and lower blood pressure.
- It raises HDL and protects LDL against oxidation.
- May lower the risk of cardio vascular disease.
- It can protect your skin against the sun.
- Dark chocolate can improve brain function.